Student Guest Post – “My Life-Changing Apologetics Class”

As the Fall semester comes to a close, I’m pleased to feature an exclusive guest post from one of my undergraduate students, Corinne Hudson—a senior at William Jessup University in Rocklin, CA who says that an apologetics class should be required for all Christian college students. See how this semester gave Corinne the confidence she needed to be an everyday defender of the faith.

Excited About Apologetics

When I heard that William Jessup University was offering an apologetics class for the first time this year, I was extremely excited. This class not only furthered my understanding of Christianity but I am also now able to confidently defend my faith and use vital techniques to graciously witness to the non-believers around me. I am also now able to share clear and logical reasons for why I believe what I believe.

An apologetics class should be required for Christian college students because many people have a fear of sharing the Christian faith and by fulfilling this class, students will be more confident and excited about sharing their faith with others. Even at a Christian college, there are non-believers, so this class would be helpful in witnessing to them and showing them why Christianity is so credible.

A Life-Changing Class

The apologetics class has been a life-changing class for me as I have already used some of the tactics in witnessing to some of my family and friends. I personally found the Moral Argument, The Absurdity of Life without God, and The Problem with Evil and Suffering (in William Lane Craig’s On Guard) the most helpful and applicable concepts in every day life and conversation.

For instance, the Moral Argument has helped me to explain to people that if God does not exist, then objective moral values and duties do not exist. We all know, though, that objective moral values and duties do exist because there is an objective standard of right and wrong in the world. It all goes back to who created these objective moral values and duties and the best explanation is God. These issues are constantly brought up by non-believers so I feel prepared and confident in conversing about these matters with them.

Join Us: A fully-accredited, modular version of this class is now available online! About the class →.

An Everyday Ambassador

I now have a better understanding of how to find out where the non-believers are coming from. I can help them to understand God’s truth and to get them thinking by “putting a stone in their shoe” (See Greg Koukl’s Tactics for details). Now that I am well-equipped with the knowledge to defend Christianity, I am excited about witnessing or answering any questions that non-believers may have.

Ever since I have taken this class, I have felt a calling from God to make more of an effort to witness to those around me. I long for everyone to have the same joy that I have from following Jesus Christ and being in relationship with Him daily.

About Corinne

Corinne is a senior at William Jessup University. She is graduating this May with her degree in liberal studies and a concentration in child development. She has recently worked as a behavior therapist for children with autism and is currently providing respite care for two boys with special needs. After she graduates, she is getting married and plans to move to Hawaii to continue working with young children with special needs.

Required Reading

Greg Koukl’s Tactics is a companion text for my Apologetics class at William Jessup University. It’s accessible, practical advice that pretty much anyone can get.  This will revolutionize your casual conversations with your skeptical friends. Koukl’s tactics give believers the confidence to get out there are start talking to their friends and family members about the faith. Check it out today.

Look inside this book on Amazon.com

11 Responses to “Student Guest Post – “My Life-Changing Apologetics Class””

1. Boz December 18, 2011 6:17 PM

Corinne, which books were used in this course that argue against christianity or theism?

• Apologetics Guy December 18, 2011 7:56 PM

Welcome back, Boz. This intro class included the views of Dennet, Dawkins, Ruse and others. Students analyzed sources (of their choosing) which represent naturalistic challenges to the faith for their individual projects.

2. Jonathan Sherwin December 19, 2011 2:22 AM

Corinne, I think you’ve highlighted through your experience the two goals of apologetics: equipping/strengthening the believer and proclaiming/defending the gospel. These two things go together, necessarily, and powerfully.

Thanks for the encouraging post and all the best with your continued education :)

3. Stephen Bedard December 19, 2011 3:43 AM

Glad you had a great experience with apologetics. It is something that is very practical and not just for the professional apologist. By the way, as a father of two children with autism, I’m glad you are going in that direction as well. I am planning on doing a podcast on autism and apologetics. God bless!

4. Apologetics December 19, 2011 5:05 AM

I’m glad to see more people showing an interest in Christian Apologetics. In these crazy new times of ours it is necessary to do the apologetic research on whatever religion or faith you believe in. I will be praying for the continuation of your success. :)

5. Kevin McNicholas December 19, 2011 6:09 AM

Corinne. I’m SOOO excited that YOU’RE excited!! Apologetics will enhance your walk with the Lord many fold.

I’m sure that as you step boldly out into the world, opportunities will present themselves for you to use your newly learned skills and as you do, affect the lives of those around you.

Be strong, and walk in the power of HIS might. Many blessings, K

6. Apologetics Guy December 19, 2011 7:34 AM

Thanks for sharing your experience, Corinne. Guess what? President John Jackson just saw this and shared your story on Facebook and Twitter! :-)

7. A.Marie December 20, 2011 1:20 PM

What a wonderful post! I enjoyed reading about your experience, and I just pray that God will continue to lead, guide, and direct you!!

8. Corinne December 23, 2011 9:50 PM

Thanks everyone! I enjoyed reading all of your encouraging messages in response to my blog post. God Bless and Merry Christmas! :)

9. Lisa December 24, 2011 8:29 AM

Excellent job Corinne! It is exciting to see your enthusiasm — and your ability to GRACIOUSLY defend the faith. Besides having the knowledge of the ‘how -to’, the attitude that you approach unbelievers will draw them to Christ. (I know because I was once ‘one of them’).

I have no doubt the Lord will use you mightily to further His kingdom!!!!

10. Korky January 4, 2012 3:09 AM

“For instance, the Moral Argument has helped me to explain to people that if God does not exist, then objective moral values and duties do not exist”

If this is true, is genocide objectively wrong?