Last weekend, I had the honor of presenting alongside J.P. Moreland, Craig Hazen and Clay Jones at Reasonable Faith in an Uncertain World at Bridgeway Christian Church in Rocklin, CA.
My talk was called, “Everyday Apologetics: Using Stories, Objects and Illustrations to Explain Your Faith.” Here’s a summary of the weekend.
Craig Hazen & J.P. Moreland kicked off the weekend by highlighting the fact that Christianity is a knowledge tradition. Like Jesus said, we can know these things to be true. People really connected with Clay Jones‘ talk on why God allows suffering—a huge topic that ended on a triumphant note. I was once again reminded, through the story of Job, that glorifying God and being faithful to him in times of suffering humiliates Satan. Great stuff.
Attendance of our early morning breakouts exceeded my estimates, so we had to move 280 people from the youth room into the main auditorium! Craig Hazen opened the main session with an excellent presentation of the historical evidence for the Resurrection of Jesus, saying “We’ve got the goods on this!”
After this, I talked about making ideas that have to do with defending the faith simple to get and easy to remember. J.P. Moreland came up after me for his lecture on Christianity and the Nature of Science. This was a huge confidence-builder and encouragement to so many people.
Here’s what people are saying:
- I was SO blessed, encouraged, and intrigued by the Apologetics Conference.
- We were all stretched spiritually and intellectually, and this is what we need to grow in Him and to be better ambassadors.
- I brought my daughters and son and they were all encouraged in their walk.
- The conference was well worth the investment of time and money. Thanks for providing access to such excellent teachers.
- We learned more about our faith, in those days than we have learned in a few years.
- We learned that Christianity isn’t at odds with science. Our kids got exposed to wonderful teachers!
- I was so encouraged by Mikel’s talk and his calm approach…I was encouraged by his prompting to be good listeners!
The final numbers aren’t in yet, but I estimate about 600 people showed up for the event. Lots of people got excited about accessible apologetics training in the greater Sacramento area and there seems to be a strong interest in having us come back again next year.
No problem. You can still join us by downloading a professional recording of the live event from my new online shop. This excellent audio resource includes all 5 plenary presentations and a digital version of the official conference booklet, including links to recommended books for further study.