Who Made God? A Cosmological Argument for Kids

Who Made God? Here’s a Simple Answer

Watching Phil Vischer’s Jelly Telly show with my little boy reminded me that accessible apologetics training is for kids, too! One day after church, we sat down to watch a little clip online. There was a puppet newscaster hosting a segment called “Buck Denver’s Mail Bag.”

At first, I wasn’t too excited about it. But then, Buck said that an 11-year old boy asked this question: “Who made God?” My ears perked up and began to lean forward.

What came next was something I’d never seen before: a puppet engaged in apologetics and using the cosmological argument to teach kids!

Buck Denver: Simplifying the Cosmological Argument for Kids

Video Transcript

Who made God? Easy answer: No one. You say, “How could that be? Everything I’ve ever known has been made by someone. How could God not be made by anyone?” Well, here’s the thing. Something has to have been not made.

Cause if you start with like, um, your car. Who made your car? Well, it came out of the factory. Who made the factory? Well, it was built by the builders. Who made the builders? Well, their mommies, kind of. And um, who made them? Their mommies and their mommies and going way, way, way, way back. It can’t go back forever. So at some point, it had to start with something that was not made. Something that just always was. That is God. God always was. He was never made. Pretty cool, huh? Something had to have started it all and that something is God.

This reminded me of William Lane Craig’s wife, Jan, who responded in a similar way to a student who said she did not believe in God. Jan’s quoted in Reasonable Faith: “Everything we see has a cause, and those causes have causes and so on. But this can’t go back forever. There had to be a beginning and a first cause which started the whole thing. This is God” (122).

Here’s how William Lane Craig himself responded to the question, “Where did God come from?” He explained, “God didn’t come from anywhere. He is eternal and has always existed. So he doesn’t need a cause. But now, let me ask you something. The universe has not always existed but had a beginning. So where did the universe come from?”

[Tweet “God has always existed. But the universe hasn’t. So where did the universe come from?”]

Simple is Good

Whether it’s responding to kids, college students or anyone else, it’s not enough to have an answer to a tough question like, “Who Made God?” It’s also important to share it simply—at least at first. If the conversations gets more technical, so be it. But let’s take a cue from Buck Denver and start with something simple.

You”re gonna love this. The Jelly Telly crew got together and produced an awesome DVD series which incorporates accessible apologetics and theology for kids: Buck Denver Asks What’s in the Bible?

When it comes to introducing the Bible, theology and apologetics to children in a way they can understand, this seriously rocks. It’s Bible literacy for a new generation. Whether you’re a parent, grandparent, Sunday School teacher, or just looking for a gift for that Christian kid on your list, check out Buck Denver Asks What’s in the Bible?

My kid loves this series. And I do, too!

Check out my review here.

Leaders: Get my FREE 6-part course on How to Run an Accessible Apologetics Conference. Sign-up now.

7 Responses to “Who Made God? A Cosmological Argument for Kids”

1. Andrea Gabot July 25, 2010 11:24 PM

Wow! This is great, Sir Mikel! I’ve recently been having trouble answering questions about faith coming from my ten-year-old sister. This helps a whole lot! By the way, I was wondering if you could do an entry about time? As in, the beginning of time as we know it and how God fits us into the picture. I’ve been trying to think about it but it’s honestly beyond me. Lol! Thanks! God bless!

2. Mikel July 27, 2010 12:47 AM

Hi, Ea. Glad this helped. God and time? Look for a forthcoming post. Thanks for the comment!

3. Joe Arino August 10, 2010 8:01 AM

@ Andrea:
    I was literally reading C.S. Lewis’ Screwtapes Letters prior to finding this page and in chapter 8 he writes (spoken by Screwtape), “Humans are amphibians – half spirit and half animal. As spirits they belong to the eternal world, but as animals they inhabit time.” To me this would imply that God, being wholly spiritual and the only one not made, transcends time. Therefore God is at the beginning and at the end simultanously, there is no time that God is not present nor is there any time he cannot be in.
    It would be akin to directing a movie; the movie cannot proceed without a director, the director is there at the beginning, already knows the script, knows how each scene is supposed to play out, is present thoughout the entire production, and is there at the end to see the finished product. God is the director and the universe is his production.

4. Mikel August 10, 2010 10:36 AM

Great quote, Joe. Love C.S. Lewis.

Interesting thoughts. Although I wouldn’t say God “is at the beginning and the end simultanously.” Imagine God with nothing. No space. No time. Now, imagine God with the universe he created. While he’s not constrained by time, he acts in it as he interacts with temporal beings. Jesus died around 30 A.D. Not 30 B.C. or yesterday.

I see what you’re saying with the director analogy. But it takes a director like God to work out his master plan through the free choices of human beings!

• Sam October 5, 2012 4:30 AM

Have you ever read Thomas Aquinas’s first cause argument.
      Everything has to have a cause, just like the way dominoes fall. They cannot cause the next domino to fall unless something caused the leading domino to drop, basically someone pushing it. This then means that the universe must be have caused by something else; at some point in history there must have been something which was not caused by something else – an uncaused causer which is God.
      However, this contradicts; why does the Big Bang have to be caused by something else, whilst God can be uncaused? How is it that God is known to be this uncaused causer, when it makes more sense that the Big bang just appeared to cause the universe?

• Apologetics Guy October 5, 2012 9:51 AM

Hey Sam, thanks for your question. Yeah. But I’m not sure I get your last statement.

What seems to make more sense? That the universe just popped into existence, uncased out of nothing? Or that there exists an uncaused cause that is responsible for the Big Bang? If you ask me, I’d say the latter.

Christians are well within the mainstream of science to claim that the universe had a beginning. But even the point of singularity is part of the universe and requires an explanation. How familiar are you with the Leibniz’ argument from contingency?

• Sam October 8, 2012 6:46 AM

Thanks for writing back,
          No I’m not familiar with the Leibniz’ argument at all – well, I have never really heard about it. I am just going by what I have learnt at school – I’m currently doing an essay on how compatible the Bib Bang Theory is with the first cause argument. I understand what you are saying about the latter making more sense in a way, but why is it that God is this uncaused causer?